CHRE Webinar Gives Valuable Advice on Modern Networking Tactics
Published October 24, 2022
Challenger Senior Vice Presidents, David Pinette and Heather Dolan, recently hosted a telecommunications event with award-winner and networking specialist, Marcia Ballinger, Ph.D. to the Challenger HR Executive (CHRE) Group. Dr. Ballinger shared approaches to take — and avoid — when networking. Watch the full webinar below or watch it on YouTube here.
“Networking is about partnerships, it’s about relationships, it’s about learning, it’s about wisdom.” – Dr. Ballinger
Here are the nine mistakes to avoid when networking. Hear Dr. Ballinger reveal how to avoid them in the video above.
- Not valuing networking
- Bungling the meeting request
- Taking too much time
- Not being a pro in running the meeting
- Not knowing my personal narrative well enough to give it in under one minute
- Not doing my homework about the other person
- Walking away from a networking meeting, not having built a partnership with that other individual
- Not using networking follow-up to your advantage
- Not making networking a way of life
We all need to network
Dr. Ballinger goes on to say, “We all need to network. Even reluctant people who say, Gee, I don’t know anyone. I’ve been working so hard these last 20 years and I don’t know a soul. Oh, yes, you do.
- Former colleagues
- Community members
- Members of your faith community
- People you know from volunteerism
- A local professional organization group
“And if I don’t, or even if I do [know anyone], I better get myself to the local chamber or women’s organization or start joining some LinkedIn seminars and start understanding who is in my network.”
# # #